Thursday, March 01, 2007

The social stigma of dropping out

This is an article that I decided to write for the Warwick Boar, our student newspaper at Warwick. It is because I have decided to drop out of the maths and physics course I was studying until about a week ago. I have ambitions that I hope I can still achieve and disagree with what I see as a social stigma against those who made a mistake when they were 17 or 18. I really hope that it is just a misconception of the situation.


It may be controversial me suggesting that drop outs are not necessarily destined to end up as social rejects but here goes.

I have decided to write about this topic following my own personal experience. I started a maths and physics degree last October with great expectations. I soon, however, realised that these were never going to be fulfilled. Over the course of my gap year and the first few weeks of last term I had discovered that I was more interested in politics than either maths or physics.

I started off happy with the arrangement that I would study what was considered by society as a “useful” subject whilst getting involved in politics in my free time. By about half way through last term, however, politics had taken over my life at the expense of my degree. I tried to continue as I had started out at the beginning of the term but I couldn’t escape from the lure of more political involvement. By now I was an active member of Union Council and I was also an active member of Warwick Conservatives. My political involvement was increasing whilst my attendance at lectures was decreasing.

It took another three weeks or so before I got the courage to consider switching courses. I was no longer enjoying the maths and physics course and knew that I didn’t want to be spending the next three years as I had spent the previous three weeks.

I spoke to my personal tutor first, then Advice and Welfare. That same day I sent an email to the economics department applying for a transfer to economics, politics and international studies. This application was rejected in January so I had to spend quite a bit of time reconsidering my options. I had never considered that I could end up dropping out of uni but this was now becoming a real possibility. I did not want to end up being a social reject. I was worried how my parents would react and also that I would end up spending the rest of my life in McDonalds and coming home smelling of chip fat. That was not the life I wanted.

Thankfully, things started to look up. I got a transfer to study politics and international studies if I passed the year. Then I went down with a nasty case of the flu and missed three weeks of lectures as a result. I returned to health in time for the Union elections but, as a candidate, I put far more priority on my campaign than I did on attending lectures. The following week I was back in bed with yet another bug. I was now advised that I should drop out and reapply for the politics course that I really wanted to do.

This was the course of action that I went for. I could have ended up reasonably high on the social ladder but I had dropped out of uni. The stigma of being a drop out was going to go against me. I hope one day to stand for Parliament but bad decisions I made as a teenager might work against me if they ever become known by my potential constituents.

Perhaps controversially, I do not believe that there should be any social stigma attached to dropping out. I do not believe that making a bad decision when you are seventeen or eighteen should count against you for the rest of your life. I am going to make it right to the top of the social ladder. One day I will be helping to run this country. I know that I have done the right thing. Why should I aim for lower aspirations just because I made a mistake and wanted to put it right? I want to say to my potential constituents on the day before the election:

“My name is Kerri Parish and I am your Conservative candidate for Parliament. I have made some bad decisions in the past but I put them right. It is true that I dropped out of uni half way through my first year but that was because the course I was studying was not right for me. I went back and gained a good degree and really enjoyed it. This experience does not make me any worse of a person. It has helped me to realise how committed I am to representing you all in Parliament because no longer will I take any important decisions lightly.”

Now that, in my opinion, is a good election speech!

This is an opinion piece so I might have got some facts wrong but I really do want to be honest about my past when I eventually get round to standing for Parliament. I don't want to end up feeling that it is better to just pretend that this year didn't happen. It was one of the most important years in shaping my future plans. It is because of this year that I know what I want to do, both now and in the distant future.

8 Comments:

At 23/3/07 11:07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a loser !

 
At 21/4/07 23:21, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In your election speach, maybe, you should talk about how you want to make the people who vote for you lives better, not about how you dropped out of uni. I honestly don't think people will be bothered about when you dropped out, what is more important is to make a positive difference in parliament. Good luck in your political career!

 
At 30/4/07 18:42, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you honestly think that people will care about your small experience of university? I'm sure an elderly woman waiting for 3 years in agony for a hip on the nhs a normal member of the public will be intrested...hmmm maybe not. Plus maybe i'm naive but politicians should be there to serve others...the average guy couldn't give two hoots about your experiences!

 
At 9/5/07 19:23, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good god this is the reason why the internet is so full of crap

 
At 22/7/07 17:52, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus Christ.

There is no stigma against people who drop out of uni except in your head, which from reading these blogs appears to be full of a lot of crap.

No one honestly gives a shit if you dropped out or not, least of all your "potential constituents".

If you ever made that speech to me before elections you can garuantee I'd not vote for you because you just came across as such an ass.

 
At 29/1/09 09:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ignore what those others said. When you tell someone you dropped out there's all these bad ideas that come to their minds, it IS a difficult decision...hope everything is going well for you now...2 years later.

 
At 13/2/11 16:05, Blogger mewmewmew said...

In your election speach, maybe, you should talk about how you want to make the people who vote for you lives better, not about how you dropped out of uni. I honestly don't think people will be bothered about when you dropped out, what is more important is to make a positive difference in parliament. Good luck in your political career!





Wholesalers
hot tub

 
At 4/12/12 04:36, Anonymous Sfen said...

wow ignore these negative comments. Fuck what your 'supposed' to do, just do what you want to do! honestly, your much more likely to find happiness and success in a field you LIKE. I am in a similar situation, but there is far less stigma in my neck of the woods. We'll both figure things out and then laugh at anyone who made us feel the stigma. And political science has great career prospects! DO YOU!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home